17 dead in a Florida high school. God, have mercy on us all.
In terms of frustration ratio, my more than mildly irked that this has happened again. AGAIN. What's worse about this time is that, according to the news accounts, the shooter showed all the warning signs. A lot of students predicted that this would happen from this guy, and yet-
It. Just. Did.
But, getting back to the frustration ratio, my real frustration is with the folks who chime in when these things happen who cannot and will not make suggestions to "fix" this ongoing problem with any kind of suggestion that is based on reality. They have knee-jerk reactions and suggest things like smaller capacity magazines, a moratorium on gun ownership, more background checks- that list goes on and on and a lot of that has already happened- and yet, the problem persists.
That frustration is heightened even more because no matter how many of these "suggestions" we put into play, they ignore two immutable facts:
- All those "suggestions" do is make it harder for citizens who obey the rules.
- Criminals - and would-be criminals - don't obey the rules. That's why they are called "criminals" in the first place.
- If the perpetrator of an act like this is found to be in illegal possession of a firearm, they immediately and permanently lose their US Citizenship. Even if they were born here and their entire family is US Citizens.
- The perpetrator should be tried as a Terrorist. Not "domestic" or "extremist" - terrorism is terrorism.
- If the perpetrator is found guilty of Terrorism, they should be sentenced to life with no possibility of parole- and by that, I don't mean they get a parole hearing every 7 years as a formality- I mean they don't even get a hearing.
- If the perpetrator has their citizenship revoked, they must immediately find - at their own expense - a country that will take them. They will also be unable to re-enter this country on a work visa or even with a passport from that country. They are literally pariah as far as this country is concerned.
- Failure to relocate as a newly defrocked American citizen earns you a nice long stay in a Federal prison. Without parole. Without parole hearings. You're done.