Friday, December 28, 2012

more in the middle

So, what's the deal, Miller?  What is this axe you have to grind on this church?  What did they ever do to you?  We had this nice little series on how things changed, and then you change in mid-stream.  Let me take a quick sec to tell everyone who had been reading my series where I was headed, so I'll jump ahead a little:

Basically, I have retired from playing church services, save for one church (Port Gardner Church in Everett, Washington) and that's going to be very occasional.  The reason(s) for this decision are myriad, but it basically boils down to the fact that I don't feel like worship music has any validity anymore.  There's no push and there's no drive, and even less originality.  Now, it's all about sounding like someone else and a rehash of tunes that are poorly written or are just a poor imitation/rip-off of an equally poor secular tune.  Most of the worship teams I've played with in the last 24 months either have zero desire to read and/or understand music, or are more concerned about playing a zillion notes at a zillion miles an hour and just chopping out for no good reason.  I find myself being more and more cynical everytime I set foot onstage to play a worship set, and if I voice my opinion, I'm either told I'm prideful, or "just a bass player" or.......so, I've decided that I am the problem and have bowed out.  That's it.  Right now, as of this writing, I'm not even attending a church- I just need a break, and believe it or not, I feel like God is completely ok with that.  The point of the series was to tell some folks how I arrived at this decision, and to show them that this decision has been a very painful process for me- I love playing for God.  It's the reason I do what I do, but I find no joy in participating in a service when the crux of the service is merely to "wow" people and give them some sort of non-sequitir, microwave style meal and try to disguise it as a 5 course dinner.  

Enough about that.

So the thing that started my last post was this advertisement on the side of a King County Metro Bus that I was riding yesterday:

As I said in yesterday's post, I have more than a passing acquaintance with Mark Driscoll, and I can guarantee he left more of an impression on me than I did on him.  That's ok- that's not my point.  This is more to my point.  While Driscoll - I think largely correctly - interpreted Scripture and decided to take a stand, I'm left scratching my head as to what the possible motive was, and even more to my point, did he consider how his words would affect others?  When confronted with the ire of many, many people over this statement, he left them with no recourse.

As I've also stated, I have some very, very close friends and people I consider family who are active in Mars Hill.  The weird part of this is that the predominance of the people that I talk to about this type of statement made by Mark Driscoll always have a retort to it that basically says, "Yeah!  Got ya thinking, huh?" or "Do you realize that he's had death threats over some of the things he's said?" - and they offer that like it's a jewel in a crown.  Now, Pastor Driscoll cannot control what his congregants say - I know that - but I have spent enough time in ministry to know that congregations reflect their pastors.  And, while Pastor Driscoll can't control what they say, I am convinced he knows what they say, and I haven't seen or heard anything done about it.  And, going even a tad further, I will say (and I will not name any names, so don't ask) that I know some folks very, very well who worked at Mars Hill, and have borne my fears out on this topic, time and time again.

Another good friend of mine has some real problems with messages like the one I mentioned above, and I don't blame her a single bit.  It does seem like there is a predominance in the church with basically having a message that just hits someone over the head with a modernized version of "Sinners In The Hand Of An Angry God" with no thought as to the outcome.  When Jonathan Edwards delivered that message, the fallout from it was so widespread and so fearful that he spent the bulk of his remaining ministry years calming his congregants down rather than showing them what God's love was about.  Pastors like Mark Driscoll have neither the plan nor the patience to do that- that is, to be ready to pick up the pieces from their statements- and instead just spread fear and derisive messages with little to no thought as to the outcome.

And, I've witnessed it first hand.  For 6 years, I was a functioning member of a church here in the Seattle area that did much the same thing.  And, it was fun being on the "inside", until I exhibited a problem - having MS and being undiagnosed - and then it was all about how many ministries I ruined, or putting me under "church discipline" when a friend of mine and I had an argument.  (My friend and I were able to fix that argument, and the church had nothing to do with it)  And, before you start thinking that this is my way of "getting back" at someone for this mistreatment I mentioned, think again.  This wasn't Mars Hill for me- it was another church- and a church that Mars Hill is trying its best to copy.  When trying to figure out if a message is valid, it all (to me) comes down to the measure of success.  If the measure of success is death threats and people running away or merely to be written up in the paper for their antics, that isn't success- that is PRIDE.  In fact, that's the very definition of it, and the last time I checked, "pride", according to the Bible, is what caused a little apple to be eaten in a certain garden.  It's to be avoided.

So, yesterday, when I saw this banner on the side of the bus - a bus line that also has placards for "1 in 4 people is an atheist" - I'm pretty sure where this is headed.  I'm pretty sure that, once again, we're gonna hear vitriol and diatribe and supposed substance, and the congregation of this church will be thrilled with the message- and the rest of us like me (and most Christians, btw) are gonna be left to pick up the pieces.  

I understand that stands must be taken.  I understand that there are rules, and that when people break those rules, someone needs to call that out.  I'll even go as far as to say that Pastor Driscoll should call them out- but the Bible is extremely clear how this is supposed to happen as a process.  This process, as it is defined Biblically, is the very essence of "with gentleness and respect" and even offers a mitigation plan should the first attempt fail- it's a complete solution.  Bus placards and blanket statements - and messages delivered with the sole purpose of building your grandstand - are not part of this process.

And, besides: ever notice how a grandstand is on either side of a playing field?  Why is that?  Because the real action - where the rubber meets the road and truth is actually borne out - is in the middle.

1 comment:

Your Protagonist said...

Mark, I read both of your December posts with great interest.

We also left the church for about 4 months a few years ago and then found an inner city ministry that fits us better. I have quit leading worship for the past 5 years, even though people can and do put on the pressure to help out.

I do continue to write music and record songs that to me are lifestyle worship songs and testimonies and observations about the realities of life in Christ. I think that is my own personal revolution against "boxed and canned" "worship". We have sacrificed a lot of body life and testimony songs for canned and emotionally staged praise and worship. But feelings can often be the antithesis of truth and thoughtful dutiful responses.

I hope what I write has more honesty, but I don't kid myself that I'm not also "censored" for the failure to be "market driven." Even my psalmnody is passed over for all the pop stuff. Ha!

The other thing I did with my hubby who is much more familiar with "church" as a 12-step program of honest friends who help each other in and out of the rooms, is that we started a community house, for people to "flesh out" the body of Christ and to learn to love each other regardless of theological debates and differences. It's just more honest to me because occasionally I am the one who must apologize for what I do or say. And, I can't simply avoid people I don't like or talk about them behind their backs! And, as a woman, I can excel at my giftings without the church hierarchy telling me I can't. It's been quite life-changing and humbling. A few years ago I might have been Mark...ed.

I think church is really where two or three are gathered in Christ's name, and how we go about praying, teaching, encouraging, serving, prophesying, administering, sending and giving is all part of our daily worship.

Thanks for your reference from 1 Peter 3:15-16:

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

I do get that! I'm studying what the Kingdom of God really is these day, in all it's ordinances and legalities (not legalisms) as well as it's graces. We need to "come out from among them and be separate," and for me, most local churches look and act like just another political corporation, and I notice that they are ever more located in "the business districts" rather than in neighborhoods.... hmmmm.

Have you read, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God?" The message was a wonderfully profound and loving call to God, and only had that one image in it that became so notorious. I'd give that little booklet to anyone.

So good to hear your "voice" and heart, brother! Love, Laura

changes me, changes you

I must apologize to Crimson Fable family and fan(s) for the title of this post.... One of the things that really fascinates me is how huge e...